Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Grandmother Bread- The Remix :)


I LOVE homemade bread! I have tried making so many and my favorite by far was the original Grandmother Bread that my sister insisted that I had to try! Of course with me, no recipe ever stays the same so that is why I call it the remix! :) The recipe is sooo easy and simple and of course delicious! If you would like to try the original first you can click HERE :) Enjoy!


3 c. warm water

1 Tbsp. yeast

1 tsp. salt

1/4c. honey

1/4c. ground flax

1/8c. wheat germ

7-8c. flour ( i usually use 4c. whole wheat flour and the rest unbleached white flour)


In a large bowl combine water, yeast, honey, and salt. Let sit for 5 minutes.Stir in flax and wheat germ. Then stir in first 3c. of flour and begin mixing. Continue kneading in flour until elastic dough is formed. Rise dough in greased covered bowl until doubled.( about 1 hr. ) Uncover bowl, sprinkle with flour and knead again. Then divide in half. Shape into 2 loaves and place in greased bread pans. Cover and let rise again about 1 hr. Bake 25 minutes at 350 degrees.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of bread... do you have any recipes for cinnamon bread??

Elizabeth said...

I have never made cinnamon bread but it sounds good enough to try out!! I will let you know what I find out!