Friday, October 22, 2010

Hearty Lentil Soup

I love this soup!! Especially on a cold day, to warm me up and fill my belly!! I was a little skeptical of lentils at first but once I tried them, they turned into one of my family's favorites!! ( and that is saying a lot because I have a picky husband and an even picky-er almost 3 year old! )

2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 carrots ,chopped
1/4 onion, chopped
1-2 stalks of celery,chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 qts. chicken broth
1/2 lb. dry lentil
2 lg. potatoes, chopped
1/2 lb. whole wheat noodles
1 box frozen, chopped spinach
salt and pepper to taste

Put olive oil in the bottom of your soup pot on the stove at med/high heat. Drop in your carrots, onion, and celery. Saute until tender. I usually add a little broth to the veggies as well. Then add the garlic and the rest of the broth. Now rinse your lentils off and put them into the pot and let them get soft. Meanwhile clean and chop your potatoes. Then place them into the pot. When potatoes and lentils are almost soft, add the noodles, usually about 10-15 minutes. When the noodles are almost soft, dethaw your spinach in the microwave about 2 minutes. Then take the spinach and place in a towel and squeeze all the liquid out. Put the spinach in the pot ( I dont always add all the spinach ). Continue to cook until all veggies, noodles, and lentils are soft and then serve!! This is a very thick soup so you may want to add more broth if you like a thinner soup. Enjoy!!

No comments: